Emergencies and acute eye disorders
(Short-term appointments can be allocated in case of emergency)
The following symptoms demand immediate medical attention:
- Abrupt visual impairment
- Perception of a bar or shadow (e.g. caused by retinal detachment)
- Perception of light flashes or black spots and threads. These are symptoms of a posterior vitreous detachment, which can lead to a retinal tear. A simple laser treatment is necessary in order to prevent a subsequent detachment of the retina. This can be carried out in the practice.
- Sudden perception of straight lines as curved or twisted
- Acute double vision (diplopia)
- Painful eye
- A strongly reddened, bonded, festering, swollen eye
- Foreign bodies (e.g. fine metal filings) must be removed before rust sets in and causes an inflammatory reaction or an infection.